What It's Really Like...

What it's really like...

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Remember When Carrie Bradshaw Smoked?

Carrie smoked in cabs, she smoked in her apartment, bars, walking down the street, wherever.  It was part of her character, part of who she was.  Season 1 is on right now, the E Channel is showing back to back episodes from 7 to 8... the same time of day I habitually go outside and smoke about it with a glass of wine.  Two nights ago they showed the first episode, the one where she meets Big.  I think I was too hung up on her smoking to really re-appreciate the moment.  The fact that I was inside watching it should have made me grateful that I had the willpower to not be on the porch, instead I was consumed with knowing my willpower never lasts very long.

How is it possible that I still smoke with all we know about it?  Easy, it's part of my life.  In the scene where Carrie picks up Charlotte in a cab to talk about how a guy wanted to have anal sex with her, Carrie had to have a cigarette.  Then they picked up the rest of the girls, but no one else had to smoke.  Just Carrie.  Now for me, in order to have a really good conversation, almost all of my friends smoke about it.  It's like it's part of the conversation.  If I was Carrie I feel like there would be less of a want if it was just me.  It's like a social trigger though, and I'm not alone.  If no one I knew smoked, I would not smoke.  It's just a fact.  I wouldn't have cigarettes available and I wouldn't be motivated enough to go get them.  My husband quit a few months ago, but he is the only one I know who has stuck to it.  So I guess it's up to me to figure out if I can still hang out and not smoke.  Well, I know I can, but I don't know for how long.  In the mean time I'll be watching very old episodes of Sex and the City, hopefully I'll last up to Season 4 when she gives quitting a go.  Carrie does it for Aidan, I'm trying to do it for me. 

3 comments:

  1. try having a seltzer water to replace the smoke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 18 days.. lots of exercise and mint chocolate chip ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 32 days.. less ice cream, more exercise.

    ReplyDelete